Tuesday, December 31, 2013

MY BODY // currently spinning

I live in a loud house with a bunch of musicians, so I get the benefit of constantly being introduced to new beats and sounds. If you can handle loud midnight recording sessions in the living room, spiderwebs of monster cables all over the house and a new roommate every two months due to touring schedules, and are really passionate at all about music, LIVE WITH MUSICIANS, something new is always happening or being created. Which is completely welcome in this new boring 9-6 lifestyle I'm living now/in denial about. Yay for my false adulthood.

So a couple of months ago I headed to The Silent Barn in Bushwick for a lil show and ended up falling in love with My Body. My Body is a band hailing from Portland, Darren on percussive beats and Jordan's vocals and melodies. Together they create an R&B-inspired dreamscape that rolled over my eardrums like candy. Jordan's vocals have a very subtle country styling as they float over perfectly designed percussion. Performing next to Silent Barns's glowing moon made everything so dreamy.

I got to catch them a second time last week at Glasslands, and watching them play below the undulating light pipe installations was like being transported to an underwater coral reef with a soundtrack. They don't have an EP yet, but I'm definitely getting it as soon as it comes out. It's the type of music that I could sit down and design a collection to.

Check out their video New Cat below!


My Body - New Cat from Calvin Waterman on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment